This week we began working into our first grade homework routine. The first layer of first grade homework is the take-home reading routine. Thank you for your support with reading these books together at home and returning them daily. We hope you find this to be a meaningful home school connection.
Many families and children may be curious about how the rest of grade 1 homework will unfold. With the new Singapore math curriculum, we are in the process of developing a thoughtful homework plan to extend our curriculum and provide worthwhile math homework for first graders. We are looking to continue rolling out our first grade homework within the next few weeks. For now, you can anticipate the following about homework:
- Book bags will continue to come home each day.
- Other homework elements will be mainly Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
- Occasionally, larger homework projects and games will come home with multiple days for flexibility of completion.
- One piece of the homework routine will be ongoing math fact practice.
- One day of homework each week will focus on a literacy activity.
This can all be QUITE CONFUSING so know that homework will always be outlined each week on the Peek at the Week. Please sign or initial the sheet after the work has been completed. The “Peek at the Week” should go back and forth in the take home folder each day. Feel free to write comments or questions, especially if your child didn’t understand the homework or if it was too hard. If you felt it was fun, we’d like to hear those comments, too!
Please be prepared to be flexible and patient with us as we work toward a meaningful and manageable homework plan for your first grader and family.
Thank you,Grade 1 Teachers